Saturday, December 3, 2011

Something Great

Rays of light burst brightly through the tiny spaces in the window blinds. I sat on the edge of the pink tweed chair in the corner of the hospital room. I watched my wife nod in and out of consciousness while the medication worked through her system. I was hours away from seeing my son for the first time. I was fighting back angst, and trying to keep my lunch from making a return trip up my esophagus. My nerves were buzzing and my muscles tightened uncontrollably. It had been a strange journey through nine months of mood swings, and late night fast-food runs. It all culminated to this moment, I was about to be someone's father.

Periodically nurses charged in and out of the room checking machinery, and charts. They adjusted equipment and saw to my wife's every concern. I watch wide-eyed as they hooked up a couple of sensors that began reading and recoding the baby's heart rate. I felt my pride well up within me when I was finally able to hear the gentle thumping of his tiny heart. I began to understand the meaning of unconditional love. I knew it would not be long before we would meet.

The daylight faded from the window blinds and time seemed to melt away. Hours flowed like minutes. Finally the doctor said the time had come to deliver my son to me. The room jumped with excitement as nurses bounced from cabinet to cabinet searching for this and that. Preparations were ready and the doctor was tied into his paper gown with latex gloves pulled to his elbows. I steadied myself next to my wife to coach her through this miracle. The doctor and nurses stared intently at the monitor looking for a sign of the next contraction. The doctor counted down. The next contraction came to its peak and he told her to push. She held my hand and I tried as best I could to coach her through. As she squeezed down on her abdomen, she squeezed my hand as well. I watched with enthusiasm as my son's head began to crown. That was the first glimpse I had of my baby boy. The doctor told her to relax and prepare for the next round. I felt the emotion swelling inside. I had my wife practice her controlled breathing and we prepared for another contraction.

Push after push I watched as my son came into this world. Finally the doctor said one more time should do it. When the contraction came she pushed with all her might. A split second later the doctor held a tiny child in his hands. My tension in my neck and shoulders broke loose when I heard his cry. My son was finally here. Nurses rushed to clean him. The doctor handed me a set of surgical shears and asked if I would like to cut the cord. I took the stainless steel snips from him as he directed me where to cut. I cut effortlessly through the cord. I walked with the nurse as she weighed and measured him. My son was finally here.

No comments:

Post a Comment